Strawberry Field Trips at Washington Farms
We are now scheduling for spring 2017!
- Dates: April 17th - June 2nd
- Days: Monday - Friday
- Times: 9:00, 9:30, 10:00, 10:30, 11:00, and 11:30am
- Locations: Watkinsville & Loganville
Schedule Early for the Best Selection of Dates and Times!
For questions or to schedule over the phone, call the farm at 706-769-0627.
- The students will be involved in an interactive educational talk, geared to their age level, about how we grow strawberries here on the farm! Topics Include:
- Soil preparation and the farm equipment used.
- Pollination and the role of bees in farming.
- The role of leaves in photosynthesis.
- The basic needs of a plant.
- How fruit matures and ripens.
- How to pick a ripe strawberry.
- The students will go to the strawberry field and see the strawberry plants, strawberry blossoms, and then pick a pint of berries to take home!
- Watkinsville farm...In addition to the educational talk and berry picking, our strawberry field trip in Watkinsville includes fun on the jumping pillow and a visit to the petting zoo. (There is no hay ride at this location.)
- Loganville farm...In addition to the educational talk and berry picking, our strawberry field trip in Loganville includes a hay ride. (There is no petting zoo or jumping pillow at this location.)
- After the scheduled activities, you may allow the children to play on the playgrounds (Watkinsville Only) and eat a picnic lunch. You will be able to take class photos at our photo ops (Watkinsville Only) and use the restrooms as well.
Cost and Payment:
- Children: $8.00 (+tax)
- Teachers and Chaperones: No charge
Strawberries are not included for adults, but you may pick and pay by the gallon after the field trip.
$12 (+tax) per gallon if you pick them yourself
$15 (+tax) per gallon if you call ahead and order pre-picked berries.
You can bring a container from home to transfer the berries into or you can purchase our picking bucket for $1.07 extra. If any teachers or parents would like pre-picked berries, they must call the farm where their field trip will take place (Loganville or Watkinsville) and place an order 1-2 days prior to the field trip. Tell us specifically which school you are coming with as well as the date and time.
- Rescheduling Fee: If necessary, we will reschedule your field trip once at no charge. Additional reschedules: $20 each.
- Minimum Group Size: 10 paying students. We require a $80 minimum payment for all field trips.
- Tax Exempt: If your group is tax exempt, please email a copy of your tax exempt certificate to email@example.com prior to the day of your field trip. If we do not have one on file before the field trip, you will be charged tax. The tax exemption will only apply to the childrens' admission paying through the school.
- You may bring cash, a check, or a school credit card on field trip day OR we can bill your school after the field trip is over. We will no longer be sending invoices prior to your visit.
- Payments for students must be made in one transaction. Money should be collected before arriving at the farm.
- Strawberries can be purchased separately.
Top Things to Remember
- Arrive Early! You will need to arrive 15 minutes before your field trip start time to ensure you will be able to do all the activities planned for your field trip. If students need a bathroom break upon arrival, make sure to arrive earlier.
- Make sure the time, date, and location of your field trip is clearly communicated to all teachers, bus drivers, and parents. We have two farms open during the spring, so be sure to let everyone know where to go!
- Have an accurate head count of all students before arriving at the farm.
- The field trip usually takes 1-1.5 hours
- All class restroom breaks, group pictures, and snack/lunch times must be done before or after your scheduled field trip activities
- The field trip area will close at 1pm.
Good Ideas from Other Teachers
- Dress appropriately for a day on the farm - tennis shoes, sunscreen, etc.
- Have each class wear a different color shirt. This helps us visually locate a class if someone arrives late.
- It is a good idea to find out if any of your students have allergies to animals, hay, etc. It may be best if they only look at the animals instead of touching to prevent an unwanted reaction.
What to Bring
- Sharpies to write each child’s name on their strawberry container. We suggest bringing 2-3 sharpies per class so parents can help. You may also bring pre-printed labels if you prefer.
- Box or crate to take strawberries home
- First aid kit, Benadryl and/or anti-itch cream, etc.
- Water Bottles/ Drinks and Lunch/Snack
- Baby wipes/hand sanitizer
If rain is predicted, you have a couple of options.
- We recommend waiting until the morning of the field trip to make a decision about whether or not to come. So often, the forecast is incorrect and the rain may hold off until after the field trip. If it still looks like it may rain that morning, you can call us (as early as 6:30am) to cancel or reschedule. If we feel that it would be best not to do the field trip due to weather conditions, we will contact you as soon as possible.
- We understand that sometimes waiting until the last minute is not an option. You can cancel or reschedule if you feel necessary based on the weather forecast. If this is the case, please call us to let us know of your decision so we can try to find a day and time to reschedule.
Do not assume that the bus driver or the parents knows where you are going. We have two farms! Make sure everyone knows which farm you're going to - Loganville or Watkinsville. Click here for our map and directions. Be sure to give them to the bus drivers and parents before you leave your building. Please call us if necessary.